Monday 20 November 2017

Japanese multiplication using lines



A few days back I have gone through a nice video about a method of multiplication, which is surprisingly very nice and easy. When I read about it more I got to know it is known as the Japanese method of multiplication using lines. I read quite a few articles about it and did some calculations too. I am really fascinated by this amazing use of lines and curves to do multiplication. This is a very good method which can boost the imagination power of the kids and let them multiply in an easy way without using any kinds of tables. I am not sure to use this method for young kids or whether we should teach this to our young kids, because I find it debatable. I think the way in which we are doing multiplication is good still we can learn more methods anytime. I am not here to debate about the origin of this method. Some people say it is originated in India, some say's that's not true. Let's not get into that.
I think we can teach our kids this method in a fun way. I suggest we should introduce this as to see the beauty of lines and curves that can even simplify algebra, instead of teaching our kids that this is a mere multiplication method. I found it quite lengthy sometimes when we take a bigger number although we don't need to memorize any kind of tables to use this method for multiplication as our traditional multiplication method demands. But for a longer run, later big issues, bigger mathematical problems we need our method, our more traditional methods as Vedic mathematics which are considered as obsolete nowadays but have great significance. So if you want to learn a new method which I felt that you should look at once, please go through some videos which are easily available on the net nowadays. It will hardly take 10 minutes of your precious time. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GAME FUN 6: Mathdoku

Mathdoku Mthdoku or Calcudoku or call it by whichever name you like. Some will say its like sudoku or some will say no its only a cal...