Wednesday 8 November 2017

When I realize I was doing tables wrong my whole life...





Me: Now it's time for your homework. What have you done in school today?
My son: Nothing. Just play.
Me: That's it. Anything else, like studies.
My son: Oh! yes. We were doing multiplication so my ma'am has started tables in school. she has given me a table of 2 to learn.
Me: Ok. Let's do the homework then. Show me your copy.
My son: Ok
Me: Why have you written all the other way round. It is not 1*2=2, it is 2*1=2, 2*2=4, 2*3=6 etc.
My son: No mom. This is wrong, ma'am told me this way only and in my book, it is the same.
Me: Wait! let me see in your book.
        Yes....You were right. It is the same. But we don't do it this way beta.
        I think there is something wrong with the book.
        Do one thing tomorrow you have an off so go and play we will do this tomorrow.

This is what my son and I discussed and then starts the discomfort. I am not the one who just sits and waits for someone to correct the problem, I think upon it again and again until I got a solution. Then I start looking for other books I have cause I have this in my mind that how can a book of such a good publisher has such a big mistake. then I saw two books, both of them have the same way of writing tables. Then I believe that the way is correct but why so? I have solved so many complex problems of very high classes before but this is something I was doing the other way, my whole life and on top of that this is something which I should have known in my first standard as the other children are doing nowadays. So I just saw that carefully and understood why this is this way. and it came out a very very simple logic which is actually right. this is the way it should be. Everyone in teaching pedagogy learns about mathematical modeling nowadays while doing any educational program or while studying about it. So how can I miss such a simple fact? 
I want to share with you this simple class 1 or 2 things which we were doing wrong when we were young. we all know multiplication is repeated addition.
2+2+2+2+2+2=6 times 2= so it should be written as 6*2=12
so here comes the table:
2                 = 1 times 2= 1 x 2=2
2+2             = 2 times 2= 2 x 2=4
2+2+2         = 3 times 2= 3 x 2=6
2+2+2+2     = 4 times 2= 4 x 2=8
2+2+2+2+2 = 5 times 2= 5 x 2=10
so now I guess we should unlearn what we have learned and start learning the way it should be. Believe me, it's not easy when you make learn the table to your 7-year-old the new and the correct way, because it's you who learned it the wrong way and doing it wrong your whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GAME FUN 6: Mathdoku

Mathdoku Mthdoku or Calcudoku or call it by whichever name you like. Some will say its like sudoku or some will say no its only a cal...