Saturday 4 November 2017

Are you passing your maths phobia to your children????





"When I was at your age I was excellent in studies but my maths, oh my god! It was horrible. The most difficult subject. I always wonder how your uncle does it with ease. I do it daily but I never get good grades in maths and you are the same with your mind you need to do it daily for an hour at least and even more than that. It’s a difficult subject it requires a lot of time."


I know eavesdropping is really wrong but I couldn't help myself from doing it when I heard a bit of an argument between a parent his a child about how difficult is mathematics and the scary stories the parent has about his experiences. So the above is the small part of it which I felt I should write here.


Are you saying similar things to your children? Maybe you were not good at mathematics when u were young but were you good at handling computers, mobile phones, and everything,  the way they do at this young age? So please, stop comparing and stop manifesting the fears or phobia of your childhood to your child. Don’t project as if, if you have trouble doing this then your child has the same. You and your experiences may be different, absence of proper guidance, distractions, teachers, etc there could be hundreds of reasons for your phobia which you and your parents may be not able to identify. But for your child circumstances are totally different he or she is in a different setting at a different time. Now your duty is to address the problem he or she is having as their own, not related to their parent's past problems or some inherited phobia of mathematics. It should be their own to deal with not the one that you manifested. Many studies show that to overcome a phobia the best way is to first believe yourself that your fear was wrong and to laugh about it. Don’t tell your stories as if you were scared of it rather laugh about it and say you were wrong about scaring of something which doesn’t mean to be. Tell your child there is nothing to fear but we just need a bit of help to overcome this. Believe me, if you stop transferring your phobia into your kid it will help them a lot. This is one of the major reasons causing mathematics phobia as per different studies. Let’s think about it and never do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GAME FUN 6: Mathdoku

Mathdoku Mthdoku or Calcudoku or call it by whichever name you like. Some will say its like sudoku or some will say no its only a cal...